Welcome to 6MM!
Term 1A Update
It’s hard to believe that we are already at half-term!
6MM have had a fantastic start to the new school year, and have completed a variety of fun, interactive and challenging learning activities. Some of the highlights include:
- We created out superhero-themed class charter. After looking at UNICEF's 'UN Convention on the Rights of the Child', we drew up our charter focusing on both Rights and Responsibilities and found out which articles our items matched up with. As a class, we all signed the charter.
- In Language and Literacy, we created an author profile for Marita Conlon-McKenna, the author of our new shared reading novel, ‘Under the Hawthorn Tree’. Additionally, we wrote a descriptive passage based on our senses to describe the famine cottage and explored story settings. We also wrote haikus and explanations for how to grow potatoes.
- In Mathematics and Numeracy, we went on a virtual tour of Ballymoney to identify 3D shapes in our environment. We also had the opportunity to create 3D shapes using marshmallows and toothpicks to help identify their properties. In problem-solving, we worked collaboratively to apply logic and reasoning to answer questions about the times tables. We used a lot of different strategies to help with these tasks.
- Our World Around Us topic is called ‘Hunger’. We had the opportunity to study the artwork of J.P Rooney and create our own famine paintings using his technique. We have also been finding out about class differences in Victorian times and how hunger affected the different groups of people.
- We have received highly enjoyable and exciting weekly PE lessons from Ronan O’Donnell of the IFA. We always look forward to Ronan’s weekly visit!
- Our monthly value for October is ‘Kindness’. To celebrate this, we talked about Article 2 from the summary of UNICEF’s ‘UN Convention on the Rights of the Child’, listened to the ‘Kindness’ song and read the ‘Story of the Good Samaritan’ in RE.
We hope you enjoy reading about some of our highlights.